Please leave me a comment if you see any videos missing in any posts, so I may replace them if I can. Thank you!

Friday, December 7, 2012

Ingratitude by Helga Hickman

.
Do you know what is more hard to bear than the reverses of fortune? It is the baseness, the hideous ingratitude, of man. - Napoleon Bonaparte


Indeed!  Today, being ungrateful, is a most casual sentiment!  I am certain the "development" of such a base trait has to do with the times in which we live, where getting the best of others is the ultimate goal!

I also believe that, on the other hand, there be those who, perhaps, are still from the old school, and are too thankful, and very generous with their thanks and praise to any one individual, for what they do, praise that invariably is accompanied by generous gifts!

Sadly, I seem to belong to the latter type, much to my regret!

One  would never say that I am well-to-do, yet, I am the type that "puts my money where my mouth is!"  Indeed, through much sacrifice, I always give to what I consider to be worthwhile endeavors, ministries.  Of course, when they thank me, it is fine, but it is not always so.  I don't do things for their slobber, but being acknowledged doesn't hurt.  If nothing else, it is good manners.  This regarding individuals, be they friend or family.

But, when there be ministers who have been aided enormously by me, preach that "Part of what you do when you give thanksgiving to God is, you are telling people what He has blessed you with.", yet, their "telling" of blessings having come their way does never cross their lips, ever, not even to extend in return a Happy Thanksgiving, they being so very busy and important, they seeing not beyond their nose, attending ONLY to their sole needs, which are UNLIKE those of any one else, of course, they having gotten so very big and so very prideful, they haven't the time to write "Thank you. To you too." in response, on a video, then one sees the hypocrisy in such preaching!  Indeed, in the same breath they also quote "That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works." Psalm 26:7  Not so!

These are so very accustomed to getting a lot for nothing, first from their parents, so they see not the need for any thanks to be given to God for such "fools" having been placed in their path, fools that have provided them with enormous financial support and countless goods!

Indeed, another can preach a sermon on thanks, while thanking every body and their brother, who be immediately present, for physical labor performed by their church members, but not for the faraway most sacrificial giving that is done, in anonymity, for certainly names need not be given, but the FINANCIAL GIFTS GOTTEN FROM OUTSIDE ARE TO BE ACKNOWLEDGED TO THEIR CONGREGATION!   
PASTORS MUST BE TRANSPARENT!  

It makes me wonder WHY would such be kept quiet!  Not good thoughts!




I was raised by an aunt, whom I called mother, and whom I sought to help, all I could, after I came to the USA, in January 1968.  Even after I was married, we both had good jobs, but I worked not at buying things for my husband and me, but, rather, kept sending her money, while my husband and I slept on a Salvation Army mattress and box-springs, set on the floor.  The rest of the "luxuries" we had were all gotten from the SA, also.  Our living room had a Formica table and 2 chairs, and a beat-up television, that had been left by the previous tenant.  In the kitchen we had a refrigerator which only froze!

What wasn't my surprise, utter shock, when her sister, Carmina, who was visiting me in 7/1975, blurted out that my aunt had written that I had "never sent her anything, be it a penny!"  Obviously, I would not believe such a lie!  She insisted that she had it in writing, she keeping all that was gotten from her sisters, and that she would send me the letter when she got back to Portugal.  It seems, my aunt continued with her much-fruitful crying misery to everyone, since she also got help from her nephew, a single TAP pilot, a god-child, in Portugal, and her other wealthy sister, in Goa, India, I was also told.  I was not aware of such financial help all those years!  Indeed, always greedy, getting all she could from everyone!  Such did fit her profile!

She, Carmina, kept that promise.  I got the letter, in my "mom's" own handwriting.  And there she bemoaned the fact that "...Helga being gone all these years, resources were scarce, since Helga has never sent me a single penny!"

That day, I buried my "mom," and not in my heart!



The word of God says "And let us not be weary in well doing!"  But, when we think that even Christ sought acknowledgment from the other 9 lepers...  We are only human...

Ingratitude may be the basest of traits in anyone, but there is no sadder feeling than that of having to regret well doing!

I dare say that for now, I am done with "well doing!"  At least, for a very long while!  I have too many vital repairs to my house that need to be done, which I have woefully neglected, for much too long, which should be my first obligation... at the moment!  As I said, I am far from being a well-to-do person, doing without, most of the time, and when I give, it is always  "charged" to Master Card, while getting myself deeper in debt, always struggling to "catch up!"

This is too costly, mentally, emotionally, physically!  No more!


Most people return small favors, acknowledge medium ones and repay greater ones - with ingratitude. 
- Benjamin Franklin


Holiday Ad  by  bbbfohio




A radio ad that thanks supporters and prayer warriors! What a novel idea! Not exactly the usual thing to do in today's society, where saying "thank you," at all, is obsolete!

Well, I like the ad! It actually touches my heart! Perhaps this could start a trend, especially among pastors, who take all for granted, and who show no more than disdain for people who help their ministry, they too important and busy to bother with such trivialities!

42 And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing.

43 And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury:

44 For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living.
Mark 12:42-44 (King James Bible)

I guess they had no Master Card in those days!
Today, I dare say, some give out of which they have not!

...


...
...

No comments:

Post a Comment