Please leave me a comment if you see any videos missing in any posts, so I may replace them if I can. Thank you!

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Two Glasses by Ella Wheeler Wilcox

I am horribly exhausted and have no energy to post anything, which means the backlog is increasing!

Anyway, yesterday I had occasion of sharing my love for this wonderfully introspective poet, my favorite, other than that other one called "Anonymous!"


The Two Glasses

There sat two glasses, filled to the brim,
On a rich man's table, rim to rim.
One was ruddy and red as blood,
And one was clear as the crystal flood.

Said the glass of wine to his paler brother,
"Let us tell tales of the past to each other;
I can tell of banquet, and revel, and mirth,
Where I was a king, for I ruled in might;
For the proudest and grandest souls on earth
Fell under my touch, as though struck with blight.
From the heads of kings I have torn the crown;
From the heights of fame I have hurled men down.
I have blasted many an honored name;
I have taken virtue and given shame;
I have tempted the youth with a sip, a taste,
That has made his future a barren waste.
Far greater than any king am I,
Or than any army beneath the sky.
I have made the arm of the driver fail,
And sent the train from the iron rail.
I have made good ships go down at sea,
And the shrieks of the lost were sweet to me.
Fame, strength, wealth, genius before me fall; 

 For my might and power are over all
Ho, ho! pale brother," said the wine,  

Can you boast of deeds as great as mine?"

Said the water-glass: "I cannot boast
Of a king dethroned, or a murdered host,
But I can tell of hearts that were sad
By my crystal drops made bright and glad;
Of thirsts I have quenched, and brows I have laved;
Of hands I have cooled, and souls I have saved.
I have leaped through the valley, dashed down the mountain,
Slept in the sunshine, and dripped from the fountain.
I have burst my cloud-fetters, and dropped from the sky,
And everywhere gladdened the prospect and eye;
I have eased the hot forehead of fever and pain;
I have made the parched meadows grow fertile with grain.
I can tell of the powerful wheel of the mill,
That ground out the flour, and turned at my will.
I can tell of manhood debased by you,
That I have uplifted and crowned anew;
I cheer, I help, I strengthen and aid;
I gladden the heart of man and maid;
I set the wine-chained captive free,
And all are better for knowing me."

These are the tales they told each other,
The glass of wine and its paler brother,
As they sat together, filled to the brim,
On a rich man's table, rim to rim.


Ella Wheeler Wilcox

...




...
...

3 comments:

  1. "For my might and power are over all"

    The above is a line missing. It should read as follows.
    "Fame, strength, wealth, genius before me fall
    For my might and power are over all
    Ho, ho! pale brother," said the wine,..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. "For my might and power are over all"

    The above is a line missing right after

    "Fame, strength, wealth, genius before me fall"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mr. Hancock!

      What a welcome intrusion this is!

      That verse was certainly missing.

      I pray you have a good day!

      Delete